Friday, December 18, 2009

Things I Love: Vintage Stewardess Uniforms



This is ancient history, and I'm sure this has been all around the internet ten gazillion times, but have you seen this site about this nutty Dutch guy's obsession with stewardess uniforms? "Welcome to my world of stewardess uniforms," he cries, and I respond with an enthusiastic "Yes, please, let me in!"


So if you're like me, and you like to stare for hours on end at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of vintage stewardess uniforms from the entire history of stewardesses, all displayed on the same mannequin shot from the same angle, while you are supposed to be working, then this site is for you. 


I'm warning you, though, that this site is a real rabbit hole.



Also! You'll be touched by his story that he dreamed of being a stewardess all his life, and his dream came true! One thing, though: look at the page with pictures of the collector, and I think you'll agree  that the site would be about a gazillion times better if he photographed himself in all the stewardess uniforms. 

UPDATE: OMG, font troubles! Whichever font should I use?

8 comments:

Karen Zipdrive said...

Egads, his stewardess uniform looks like a pilot's.
That's so sexist- he should get to wear whichever one he prefers.

hughman said...

"As I travel the world, it gives me the opportunity to visit local airline offices and I meet people who can maybe help me to obtain new uniforms for my collection."

omg. i can only imagine the awkward sexual tension. first he lovingly fingers your scarf, next he asks if you would like to get some coffee. or tea. or a choice of sodas with some peanuts. then you wake up the next morning naked, your stewardess uniform gone, and all the soap in your bathroom individually wrapped.

Lady Wesley said...

This site is amazing for an amateur. Great photography, too. I was gripped by nostalgia looking at the Braniff uniforms from the 1960's and 1970's. Thanks for this fun diversion

John said...

If Continental would go back to the early 70s uniforms, i would fly a LOT more.

Lulu Maude said...

Makes me wanna do the frug.

Distributorcap said...

you made me think of the Fly Me commercials from the 70s

TexasYankee said...

You're right, this site is a serious rathole! I love it!

lorrwill said...

Well I think I know what I will be for Halloween this year.