Friday, December 18, 2009

Painting: Georgia On My Mind


Georgia II, 2001, acrylic on hardboard, 16x20. Click for bigger!

I generally dislike Georgia O'Keeffe, and not just for professional reasons (she instituted a policy at my workplace which is the bane of my existence). What's hilarious about her –actually, the only hilarious thing about her– is the way she used to deny that her flower paintings were vaginal. The suggestion upset her!

So I decided to make a painting that was absolutely ridiculously genital, and achieved this goal by using the Nestlé and Lawry's logos.

This is the second version. The first was a reverse painting on plexiglas and quite a bit wider (with the Lawry's Ls farther apart).

3 comments:

Karen Zipdrive said...

Heyyy I didn't come here to get all horned up, mister.

baragon63 said...

I once thought about doing a response to Judy Chicago's "Dinner Party" featuring male writers, called "Rudy Chicago's BBQ", with a can of Vienna Sausage for Truman Capote, Potted Meat Product for Norman Mailer, etc. Fortunately for everyone, I ran out of inspiration very quickly...

J. Matt said...

What policy did she implement?